They have tshirts that say, “The book was better”, but never, “The cookbook was better”. Just kidding. Are you an Outlander fan? There’s a cookbook, and it’s just as wonderful as the books and show! I boughtthis kilt to wear to the local Scottish festival, but now I like to bust it out whenever I pull out the book.
Here’s the best Shepherd’s Pie for you to try! Thanks to Theresa Carle-Sanders for letting me share it with you!
Here’s my review of the book:
Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook
by Theresa Carle-Sanders
I did this in reverse order. I’m a cookbook lover, and picked up Outlander Kitchen because a friend really enjoys the series. The cookbook’s so charming that I started reading the series. But, really, who could resist names like Cream of Nontoxic Mushroom Soup and Quick Pickles for a Hasty Escape, Murtagh’s Gift to Ellen (Puff Pastry Boar Tusks), and Nettle Rolls.
1-3) I made Sarah Woolam’s Scotch Pies and they were fantastic! I’d like a do over because they were meant to be put together in a bottomless 3”x2” mold that you lift away once they’re shaped, but I didn’t have any on hand, so I used a muffin tin. I bet a tuna tin with the top and bottom removed would work well. The author suggests that it could be accomplished in a 3” PVC pipe cut to 2”. The recipe calls for a pound of minced sirloin or lamb. You can get that accomplished easily with a cleaver. If you don’t have one, I call mine Jerry Mathers (Leave It to Cleaver, starring Jerry Mathers as The Cleaver). ~~ The broccoli salad was fantastic and nice and bright. ~~ Murtagh’s Gift to Ellen (Puff Pastry Boar Tusks) were cute and delicious. I pulled the puff pastry from the fridge about 5 minutes before using it. I bet it would work even better if you waited til the last second. The recipe calls for bacon or prosciutto. I’ll go with the prosciutto next time as that doesn’t require cooking, and the bacon doesn’t crisp up in the quick trip through the oven that the puff pastry takes.
4) The Bangers and Mash with Slow-Cooked Onion Gravy using the recipe for Ian’s Garlic and Sage Sausage were amazing.
5) Her Shepherd’s Pie is the best I’ve ever had!
6) The Cream of Nontoxic Mushroom Soup and Rolls with Pigeon and Truffle were fantastic! –And the pigeon and truffle rolls contain neither pigeon nor truffle. They’re filled with chicken thighs, bacon, dried porcini mushrooms…. 🙂 If you’re new to making sausage, be sure to leave the fat on the chicken thighs! The higher fat ratio is what gives sausage the gorgeous mouth-feel, texture, and flavor.
7) The Ginger Nut Biscuits are a fantastic soft, chewy gingerbread cookie. (They contain no nuts)
8) The MacKenzies’ Millionaire Shortbread is amazing. Uber rich.