I’ve always been more of a smoothie fan, and my juicer never got much love. Smoothies leave you feeling nice and full. Then I found Ziggy Marley’s cookbook, Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook: Delicious Meals Made With Whole, Organic Ingredients from the Marley Kitchen, and everything was delicious and super nutritious, so I decided to give his juices a try. I loved them! They’re filled with interesting flavor. Fantastic. When you want a nice vitamin punch, there’s nothing like juice. They leave me feeling extra alive. It’s not a juice book. There are only 9 juice recipes in it, but they’re special.
A huge thanks to Akashic Books for letting me share the recipe for a Beet Quencher with you. I’ll get back to my review of the book and a hilarious family game night idea after the recipe….
If you love it, please come find me again! 😀
1 medium red beet
3 whole carrots
½ red bell pepper
¼ jalapeno, or to your spice preference
Wash vegetables and fruit thoroughly. Juice 1 orange by hand and set aside. Juice all other ingredients in a juicer. Add orange juice. Stir and enjoy.
Ziggy Marley and Family Cookbook: Delicious Meals Made With Whole, Organic Ingredients from the Marley Kitchen
Oh, this is a terrific cookbook! I grew up listening to Bob Marley, and he’s always been my painting music, so it’s so nice to have another piece of their family in our home. Nice strong flavors. Lots of colorful produce. Feel good food. Ziggy’s voice is so present on the pages. Everyone has loved everything! Totally recommend!
1) Coconut Dream Fish – p 58. This is absolutely divine. He says, “Makes you go to bed real nice.” So true.
2-3) Beet Quencher – p 26. We’ll try anything once, so I went for it. I didn’t expect to love this, but I do. So tasty and refreshing!
4 Ahi Tuna Burgers – p 62 and Sweet Potato Oven Fries – p 65. Great dinner! My youngest thought it tasted a little like a potsticker burger because of the ginger, garlic, onions, cilantro, and sesame. I can totally see that.
5) Oatmeal – p 21. Super satisfying bowl. Everyone was ready for their day. My grocer doesn’t have the dried golden berries, but Amazon does!
Healthworks Golden Berries Raw Organic, 1lb
6) Jerk Chicken – p 52. This is absolutely fantastic! Really easy and packed with flavor. And soooo wonderfully fragrant!
7) Caribbean Salsa – p 35 with plantain chips. Awesome! My kids were berserk for this salsa!
8-9) Turmeric Cooler – p 26. The juices in the book are wonderful. Yummy, and they make me feel extra alive.
10) KK Juice – p 30. Nice and sweet. My kids love this one.
11) Almond Coconut Smoothie – p 30. This is a really rich, decadent shake. I have to figure out the right way to deal with the fresh coconut – lol! I got a nice workout out of it. ;D
12) Spiced Lady – p 29. Yum! Pineapple lemon blast, with turmeric, honey and cayenne in the background. Perfect after a nice workout.
Some others I have flagged to try: Frittata – p 22 * Coconut Rice – p 33 * Summer Quinoa Salad – p 41 * Coconut Curry Squash Soup – p 44 * Tofu Coconut Carrot Curry – p 49 * Roasted Yam Tart – p 74 * Vegetarian Hash – p 77 * Brown Rice and Salmon Bowl – p 78 * Roast Chicken – p 81 * Cinnamon Orange Almond Popcorn – p 88 * Mama Carmelita’s Flan – p 93
Telestrations the Telephone Game Sketched Out!
You want bonding and laughter, this is it!!! Great family and party game! Everyone had tears running down their faces from laughing. We’ve got a cabinet full of games, but between this and Catan, we’re set for the holidays after dinner.
I added pictures below to show how cornflakes transformed into Bob Marley, reggae ghost. “Bowl of oatmeal” was read as “Soul of oatmeal”. Mistakes are magic in this game. My kid was performing in Christmas Carol at the time, so Jacob Marley really should have been top of mind. 😉